sunnuntaina, elokuuta 27, 2006

Sancho Panza Belicoso

Measures: 138 mm x 19 mm

Age: This cigar same from a large sampler set I bought in early 2005. It probably dates from 2004.

Setting: Summer is coming to its end in Finland. After a record period of drought, we again are receiving some rain, with the result that the yellow colours that dominated the July have become green again. It is still unusually warm for the season, so conditions for cigar smoking are still very good.

Today my choice for late afternoon cigar was one of the Sancho Panza Belicosos that I had bought last year. I had smoked one a couple months after receiving them, with somewhat mixed results. Therefore, I decided to let the others to gain some extra rest. Perhaps one additional year makes a difference? That is what I ventured to find out. So, I brewed some coffee, poured a couple of fingers of Larsen VSOP cognac, expecting that its robust and straightforward character might match the profile of the Sancho Panza.

The cigar was a well-built specimen of Habanos manufacture. It was clad in medium brown wrapper, with no prominent veins. It felt firm yet supple to my fingers, telling that the storage conditions have been appropriate. I clipped the cigar, and tried the draw which proved to be about right. I sensed very little cold aroma from the predraw, momentarily making me wonder whether the cigar might be suffering from some degree of sickness. Still, I was determined to continue, so I lighted the cigar.

The cigar started in a quite nondescript fashion, just exhibiting the taste of roasted tobacco. The first third remained like that, with whiffs of coffee and cream. After the first third, and my first ashing of the cigar, the flavour started to become more intense, with some spice (cinnamon?) appearing intermittently. This [i]crescendo[/i] continued steadily thereafter, with the final third becoming quite intensive. Throughout, the cigar nevertheless remained smooth and creamy. And no, the cigar exhibited no signs of sickness. Its pairing with the coffee and cognac turned out to be just right.

With this experience, I am led to think that there are no bad Habanos: there just are Habanos caught at the wrong moment. Today was a good moment for this Sancho Panza.

Ei kommentteja: